The “Magic Knot” is a bit of a controversial joining method, as many people don’t like knots in their work, or some think it is the “wrong” way to join.
There is no such thing as the wrong way!!
Again I have used two colours for this tutorial.
The existing yarn is shown with purple, and the new yarn is show with pink.
Place both strands of yarn parallel to each other with the old yarn on top and the new yarn beneath.
1. Pass new yarn under old yarn, and cross over.
2. Pass end through loop.
3. Pull tight.
4. Pass old yarn under new yarn and cross over.
5. pass end through loop.
6. Pull tight, giving you two knots.
7. Pull on each strand of yarn, to pull two knots together.
8. Be brave and cut as close to the knot as you can.
This join works really well with acrylic yarns, and yarns with some texture to them. I have found that the knot will not grip with some very silky yarns.
Just give a really hard tug and you will soon see if this joining method will work with your yarn.